Replacing Chaps

By: Shayla Aponte ’19, Staff writer

The job search for the replacement of Rev. Dr. Paul “Chaps” Fullmer is almost over.

The Office of Student Affairs has filled one of the two positions advertised to replace Chaps’ role. Fullmer was the chaplain and director of service and volunteerism at LVC for the past 12 years.

Jennifer Liedtka, coordinator of service and volunteerism, is thrilled to be back and start her new position at Lebanon Valley College. Liedtka is an LVC alumna who worked previously for the college in both financial aid and institutional research. She spent the past five years in ministry, community and service roles.

“When the opportunity to serve as this position, at this place which means so much to me, opened up I was stunned,” Liedtka said. “It felt like I had five years of opportunities which equipped me to come back and do this role.”

Liedtka is already trying to plan a spring break service trip for students and is gathering as much information as she can to help keep the program successful. Also, Liedtka is reaching out to local organizations to make connections and to understand the current needs in the community.

“I am incredibly passionate about service,” Liedtka said. “It has been a big part of my life personally, and I am excited about the opportunity to help further cultivate the spirit of service here on the campus.”

While one of the positions is filled, the College is still in search of someone to fill the position of the Coordinator of Spiritual Life. Todd Snovel, assistant dean for student engagement and inclusion, said Fullmer’s position is being replaced with two people based on focus group feedback the school received.

“Overwhelmingly what we heard from those groups was Chaps did so much great work and there is still so much important work to be done here, but there could really be more focus given to each program,” Snovel said. “Basically, there are probably two separate jobs within his role.”

The person who will take over as the coordinator of spiritual life would be expected to provide some level of counseling to students from a faith-based approach. The goal is to have that person in place by next semester.