Future Firefighter

By: Laura Brent ’18, Staff Writer

A senior criminal justice major has decided to pursue a career as a forest firefighter in Colorado.

Kevin Masterson will be employed by the U.S. Forest Service and assigned to the Medicine Bow Routt National Forest, where he will work on a Type 6 engine.

“I just thought it would be a great adventure traveling around in a part of the country I have never been before,” Masterson said. “Plus, I prefer to work outside rather than in an office.”

Masterson first learned about his passion for firefighting during his sophomore year of college, but never had the opportunity to work during the summer as a firefighter because the fire season runs from May through October.

With a passion for adventure and a love for the outdoors, Masterson knew that he wanted to pursue his firefighting career in the Northern Rocky region because of its beautiful scenery.

He applied for positions in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming, before accepting his position in Colorado.

“I’m looking forward to a change in scenery,” Masterson said. “The national forest I’m assigned to looks beautiful.”

Masterson will be living in the town of Yampa, which is home to about 500 people and 30 minutes south of Steamboat Springs, CO.

Originally from Flagtown, N.J., Masterson will not be able to return home to visit his friends and family until the fire season is over after October.

Masterson is looking forward to where this adventure takes him, but he will also miss his experiences at LVC.

“I will miss the friends I have made over the years and all the guys on the lacrosse team,” Masterson said.

Masterson begins his work as a forest firefighter on May 15 and is preparing to fly out to Colorado after the graduation ceremony.