In the spotlight: McCadney’s journey

By: Collin Moore ’18 STAFF WRITER

There are dozens of people at LVC who ensure students have the best possible experience; Olajiwon McCadney is one of those people.

McCadney was hired as the Assistant Director of Intercultural Affairs & Inclusive Programming at Lebanon Valley College in 2014.  Born in Mississippi, McCadney attended Northeastern University for his undergrad and State University of New York College at Potsdam for his masters.  His life, he says, has been a journey.

His responsibilities at LVC are numerous.  He serves as a certified life coach, a Green Dot facilitator and adviser of several clubs on campus including American Indian Studies, Martial Arts, Asian Culture, Hispanic Alliance and the Black Student Union.

“Interacting with the students is my favorite part of my job in the Multicultural Fellowship Program,” McCadney said.

In addition, he’s the house advisor for the Friendship House and Stonewall House.  With his job, he works with more than 250 students, making sure they are applying themselves both academically and socially while school is in session.

“I really have come a long way with the help of Olajiwon academically and socially,” CJ Boxley, the sophomore Early Childhood Education major, said.  “I’m very sure I’m not the only one on this campus as well.

In 2016, McCadney was awarded the Wheeler Freedom Award;LVC gives this award to an individual who has worked to advance the rights of the local LGBTQ+ community.  For McCadney, this is just the beginning.  He intends to complete his doctorate next year.